A previous blog discussed the three M’s of marketing- Marketplace, Message and Media. Today’s insight brings to you a message that will help you put yourself in a position where you can penetrate your marketplace because you will be messaging to the conversation that is already going on in their mind.
Successful marketing penetration demands an extensive understanding of the heart and of the mind of your marketplace. There really is no effective short cut to enter the conversation already going on in their minds. Yet, most people when they create a marketing program, rush through this step or they skip it all together. If you find out information on just a few subjects, it would give you a solid foundation for crafting a message that would get your marketplace to respond quickly and vigorously.
Here are a few samples to get you started:
1. What keeps them up at night, what causes them to wake up at 3:00 in the morning in a cold sweat? What do they worry about?
2. Who are they mad at, what makes them angry? Is it their competition?
3. What threatens their life and their well being, what do they fear?
4. What do they wish they had more of? (greed)
5. What do they dream of or what are the excited about, what do they hope for?
6. Who markets anything to this group and how do they do it?
7. What do they read, what kind of material do they look at, what kind of literature do they study?
8. What do they know about your product? What don’t they know about your product? Try asking this of your marketplace sometime.
9. If you could wave a magic wand for them, what do they want you to do? This helps you prepare your message to them.
10. What’s unique about their language, can you walk the walk, talk the talk, of your marketplace?
11. Do you by chance have any affinity in this group?
12. Who are the VIPs in this group; this could be an entree to marketing to this group?
Find a key player in this particular marketplace and spend an hour or more with them, take them out to lunch, take them out to breakfast, setup a phone call, dig in to learn what is going on to the minds of your marketplace, it’ll give you a great start to crafting the message that will cause your marketplace to massively act and put more freedom in your bank account.
PS Make a difference, Be Unstoppable, Leave No Regrets